Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Spruce Blog #1

Hi guys, so this blog is a little different from the last few.  As you all hopefully know, our client Lynne Lancaster has qualified to go to the world-renowned Spruce Meadows and compete on the Norcal 1.10m Prix de Nations team.  Since this was such a special and incredible moment for Lynne, I asked her to write some blogs for us and share her experiences on this amazing journey.  So without further ado, here is Lynne's first entry on the subject!! (Oh P.S. Beach Party Blog coming soon and good luck to everyone showing at the Sonoma June Classic!)


Spruce Meadows Journal June 10, 2013 – Entry #1

Dusty and I leave for Spruce Meadows two weeks from today.  Chelsea asked me to blog about the experience, and I think she may have meant to write something brief after it’s all over.  As you can imagine, being brief is hard, and there is already too much to say…    

There will be twelve of us representing Norcal, competing against amateur teams from around the U.S. and the world.  Teams compete at the 1.00, 1.10 (my division), 1.20, and 1.30 meter heights.  Meredith Herman is the Chef D’Equipe for the 1.10s, so I already know her and several of the other competitors.  That makes it seem less foreign. 

Dusty has made arrangements for Cielo to ship to Calgary for our designated week.  “Canada One” is the third of five solid weeks of horse shows at this premier international venue (www.sprucemeadows.com ).  I had to turn in my entries a couple months ago, so that’s all set.  I did web searches to figure out where to stay, and I’ve got the flights and rental car reserved.   Cielo will be stabled with Morada Farms (associates of Dusty’s from Mexico) so rather than being  with folks we already know we will get a more international experience.  

Now it’s down to the packing.  We have to be ready for jumping on grass (meaning caulks), and jumping in rain (meaning a rain sheet for her and rain hats, coats, and even jumper-style rain pants for me).  I asked Chelsea about the black plastic cover to protect my helmet but she was horrified, so I guess that would be a “no”.  We have to wear white breeches, white shirt, and a hunt coat every day, so my wardrobe is going to be very challenged.  Allan already asked how I am going to get things washed (he didn’t even consider that I might be able to stay clean), and I have no idea.  I am taking Cielo’s two passports (International and F.E.I.) but Dusty said never send them with the horse, just hang onto them (for what reason, I don’t know, perhaps if she is stolen?).  I have to send along a typed inventory of everything in my trunk for customs (for what reason, I don’t know, perhaps in case of drug smuggling?).  I am sending the padlock to lock the trunk, but not locking it, and texting my combination to Morada Farms.  They will unload her when she gets there, make her comfortable, and hack her the next day.  She ships well, but it’s nerve-wracking to send her so far.

I bought a new pair of white breeches on Saturday at EQ.  Spending all that money for something so special should be fun, right?  If you recall, it was 100 degrees Saturday and I was sweaty and hot after riding and it was like wrestling a rubbery octopus to get those things on, then I had a hot flash and I’m not sure but I may have passed out. I later found myself in the car clutching a VISA receipt and new white pants that are not returnable.  So there you go—the glamour of horse showing! 

I just looked up the extended forecast but it only goes until next week.  The authorities in Alberta do not like to scare people.  I gather some of their income derives from tourism.  Here is the forecast:  Tomorrow--“Not available” (How can this be?).  Wednesday--Sunny (excellent).  Thursday--Showers (hmm).  Friday--Rain (not good). Saturday--Showery (a subtle distinction with a breath of hope).  Sunday--Rain and showers (?).  The high will be around 16° with a low of 9°.  I do not know what this means.  I asked Allan, who is an actuary. He said something like multiply by 13 and divide it by 11/9ths and subtract 32.  The mind boggles.  I have to go try on those white pants. 


No comments:

Post a Comment